Friday, March 30, 2012

Cole Slaw with apple, mint and parsely




Grace Manins my maternal grandmother.  She was always taking care of the poor and needy.  I have memories of her giving a bath to a very old lady ( a Miss Brown) when I was super young.  Still remember the impression all those wrinkles had on me.  Yikes!  She took meals to old or ill people, who were shut in, and helped, those in need.

Grandma had a herb garden just outside her kitchen door and found ways to include them in about every dish she made.  One of her trademarks was her salads.  Here’s an adaptation of her Cole Slaw, with a few of my additions.

GRANDMA'S COLE SLAW

Cole Slaw
Ingredients:
1/3 of a cabbage, sliced very thinly
1 grated carrot
2 celery stalks, sliced and diced
1 green onion chopped
1 apple, grated
Fresh parsley and mint, chopped

Dressing:
2 Tbsp oil
2 Tbsp vinegar
1 Tbsp sugar

Method:
Mix all together.

(The actual dressing my Grandma used was made from 1 can of sweetened condensed milk, the juice of one lemon, 1/2 teaspoon of dry mustard and thinned with some milk.)



No comments:

Post a Comment